One of the USPS's advertising methodologies to compete with civilian package shippers is the use of flat rate boxes. They even came up with a awesome tv promotion - If it fits it ships for both domestic and international priority mails. In this article we are going to identify what priority shipping is, discuss the different kinds of these envelopes and boxes and their corresponding prices.
Priority mail is the postal service's 2-3 business day delivery service to most US cities and 6-10 business days for Global. The cost is the same regardless of the weight and destination. Delivery time is not guaranteed, however they meet that commitment over 97% of the time.
Priority Flat Rate Envelopes:
1. Size: 12 1/2" x 9 1/2", good for mailing letters and small flat merchandise.
2. Padded mailer, Size: 12 1/2" x 9 1/2", for small electronics, jewelry, DVDs, or portable media.
3. Legal, Size: 15" x 9 1/2", perfect for legal size documents or small merchandise.
4. Gift Card, Size: 10" x 7", use for mailing gift cards and oversized greeting cards.
5. Window, Size: 10" x 5", for letters requiring visibility.
Priority Flat Rate Boxes:
Priority mail flat rate envelopes and boxes as outlined above come in various sizes and uses. They can be used to mail both domestic and international mail. The weight and destination of the package is not considered (20 pounds weight limit for international priority mail package).
Posted on August 18, 2018